Tuesday, February 11, 2014

So, This Winter Thing...

The bunnies had a meeting under the tree.
Raise your hand if you're cold.

Raise your hand if you're in the path of this "Nor'easter" charging up the East Coast right now.

Raise your hand if you are so friggin' tired of talking about snow and cold.

I know, I know, we're all talking about the weather nonstop. But WHAT THE HELL ELSE IS THERE TO TALK ABOUT?!

Obviously, there's better stuff to talk about. There's Michael Sam. There's every Olympic athlete with a heartwarming story. There's Greg Grunberg on Girl on Guy with Aisha Tyler (an old ep, but football season is over so I'm branching out into other podcasts—and Misha Collins is the new interview!). And there are sad, tragic, unhappy things to talk about, too.

But many of us in certain regions of the U.S. have nothing else impacting our day-to-day lives as much as the friggin' weather.

I love snow. I love the seasons. Normally, by the end of them, the extremes of winter and summer serve as the reasons I love fall and spring so much. But this year? I'm finally on board with all the complainers. SO DONE with 6-degree mornings and winter weather warnings and bars across the top of my TV shows flashing the latest closings and delays.

At least February is moving along at a brisk pace.

Now that I'm 43, I'm getting a better understanding of aging, too. It's not solely about the body changing. I mean, of course, part of it is, and will be more and more as those numbers change. But a hell of a lot of it is about being done.

I'm still perfectly capable of driving in the snow. I'm not afraid of it. It doesn't hurt (beyond the normal out-of-shape-ness of it) to shovel the driveway or clean off my car. I'm just tired of it. And it's not just because it happens every week. It's because I've been dealing with it for 20+ years. It's cumulative!

So while I don't think I'm going to lose my appreciation of spring and fall enough to move away from winter, I can definitely understand a little better the people who do.

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

LOL. That 'done' thing happens to me a lot. There are some things I'm just tired of dealing with. This latest snow is messing with our plans to visit my daughter this weekend. I'm still relying on the forecasters being wrong like they almost always are.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Oh, no, Sue! That's a big thing to get messed up. :( Is that Boston? Hopefully it zips up the coast and out of your way in plenty of time.